Sunday, January 8, 2012

bury me beneath the willow tree

bury me beneath the willow tree
the spot’s picked out
the digging is free
and for all the things that i used to be
i set this fire in my mind to make it free
bury me beneath the willow tree
when I’m dead and no longer the things
i used to be
just a withered
warm sheet
growing cool
but there is no willow here
i remember the fireflies
that used to roam in the dark of the night
behind the house where we grew up
by the blackberries
I would catch them in a jar
and then I had a canister of light
that I could keep by my bed for the night
I imagine that it wasn’t as sublime
for the bugs
I don’t think they were hoping for a boy to watch sleeping
all safe and sound
there in his bed
but then again
i have no idea what goes on in a fireflies head
there are no willows here
there was also the sound
of the train running down
from the mountain on the wind
across town
and the sound that it made
that sweet clicking away
like the keys on some typewriter in the sky
i imagine it carrying dreams
dreams for the future
to disperse
as it passed all the spots where
we adventured all day
on the tracks
we walked along to the pond
or the river
to catch rainbows from the water
or throw rocks
for the passing of time
we were serial killers of
hours
stabbing each one with a finishing blow
because a fresh set would spring up tomorrow
there are no willows here
if i were a castaway on a deserted
island
and it was only you with me
i'd starve so you could stay
as supple
as
you
are today
for it would be a crime
for those breasts
to ever change
and you know
i could be a serial killer
for hours with you
if I could go back in time
for the days you were mine
i would hold on
with all I am worth
you were a death-grip
worth engaging
and a firefly to each of my evenings
the songs that you hummed like the train tracks
sweet moan click-clack
sweet moan click-clack
clickity clack
clickity clack
listen….
there are no willows anymore
and I got old…
…now
i know
what it all meant
it meant
this
moment
so please
……,
bury me
beneath the willow
in the backyard
up on the hill
where we made love until the middle of night
lying amongst
a cloud of fireflies
and train track lullabies
the screeching of steel in the night
there is no willow there
except in memories
now there is a strip mall
over the bulldozed green pasture
and the train tracks are a bike-path
that weaves through the city
and a firefly would be quite a sight
if you could spot one in all this bright light
and the wind never breezes here now
just a cold northern wind bearing down
there are no willows
but don’t say it to the man
on the morphine
drip,
drip,
drip,
drop….
clickity-clack
clickity-clack
clickity clack…..

No comments:

Post a Comment