Wednesday, December 7, 2011

the mercy of the road

the mercy of the road

tonight
i saw a raccoon that had been
struck on the road
as i was driving home
he was flicking his fat
raccoon body
panicked in the air
a broken shoulder
face on the yellow line
and this was time
on a broken string
or a snot strand going down
but still hanging in there
this must be the
mercy
of the road
and I thought of my cat
and you
as I watched it
writhe and suffer
i can’t just leave it be
i would expect more from the world
if it was me
road kill suspended
like our love
his partner for the road
was already streaks
of abstract painting
on mixed media
a big white line
recklessly thrown
like Pollock
it is made for this light
yellow streetlights
yellow lines
and a dark wet canvas
from a soft soft rain
sprayed in pain
like our love
you were a twisted mistress
with your stiletto moods
those sharp wet shoes
and the way that you could
‘messy up a canvas’
an avante garde lover
you tore me open too
so I have too much in common
with mister raccoon
mr. writhing and waiting
for the end of the pain
or a careful hand to scoop me away
into a cardboard box
lined with an old gray sweatshirt
and nurse my wounds
but the mercy of the road
is approaching

such a beautiful creature
would strike me if I tried to help
and this is a dangerous corner
and in the soft and yellow light
i saw your scared yellow eyes
time for a decision
here
but fear gives way
to moments
imagine a long expansive field
and the tree on the hill
and you are falling
and I am only here on this stone
a leap to action
is ineffective at best
time is a terrible dealer
for a creature in the road

i planned the mercy act
but, head or body first?
you were wider than my tire
and more pain was not the plan
and alas
better slow
or fast?
if only I had a
machete
or a shovel

but instead
i watched from the comfort
of the breakdown lane
as you bounced and bled
under the bellies of
seven bounding racecars
barreling straight ahead
because
the world
does not watch for
creatures
in the road
it is eating a sandwich
and scanning radio stations
and watching the world above
those sad yellow lines
you were
an onion in a blender
brought tears to my eyes
like our love

after the violence subsided
i turned a light to your
wreckage
lying in the road
still like a damp fog
on the swamp of
these days
and you were a hammock
in the summer
not a single motion
not even a breath
and you were a beautiful
creature
an empty blanket
on a Sunday
the mercy of the road
was a swift
executioner
but I could have been
quicker
so my sinful hesitation
will haunt me
for a while
like our love
i could have
backed over it good
with my truck or trust
the road-kill of our love
mercy killing the writhing creature
a beautiful
canvas on the road
or laying beside it
looking up at the sky
to keep you from
being scared and lonely
and waiting for
the mercy
of
the road

No comments:

Post a Comment